The European Soil Portal contains currently many soil data and information; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided. With the term "Soil Dataset", we refer to all digital resources grouped in data, maps and application/services.
The following resources are available:
- Data: presents an inventory of and access to the soil data that the JRC is currently holding. Some of the data found through the catalogue can also be found in other sections of the Soil Portal
- Maps: presents a library of scanned maps and a collection of prepared maps derived from the existing soil databases at JRC
- Applications/services : offers the user the possibility to interact on-line with many of the data held in soil related databases at JRC
- A Help desk is committed to help you with the use the soil data and information you find in this portal; it will reply to your questions and problems as quick as possible. Contact details are:
- E-mail: ESDAC, Marc Van Liedekerke , Panos Panagos
- Phone: 0039-0332-785179, 785574
- Fax: 0039-0332-786394
In the context of the development of European Environmental Data Centres by the European Commission and the European Environment Agency, a European Soil Data Centre (ESDAC) has been developed by JRC, which also holds a catalogue of European soil data and information. This catalogue holds references to a subset of the information and data that can be found here; its main advantage is that it features a dedicated search engine for targeted search operations.
More information about the European Soil Data Centre may be found in the following publication:
Panagos P., Van Liedekerke M., Jones A., Montanarella L. European Soil Data Centre: Response to European policy support and public data requirements.
(2012) Land Use Policy, 29 (2), pp. 329-338, doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.07.003, ISSN: 02648377
The European Soil Data Centre (ESDAC) was designed to be the first point of contact for all the EU’s soil data needs. It is an online repository of scientific information (datasets, documents, reports, maps, events and projects) relating to various aspects of soil science. It houses major ongoing initiatives, such as the European Soil Database and data from national research organisations, as well as the results of recent EU-funded projects.
More Information: The European Soil Data Centre: a one-stop-shop for soil science "Science for Environment Policy": European Commission DG Environment News Alert Service (9 February 2012)
|Important legal notice
© European Communities, 1995-
| European Commission - Joint
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Marc Van Liedekerke(tel. +39-0332-785179)
Panos Panagos (tel. +39-0332-785574)