This European Soil Portal is an integral part of the European Soil Data Centre, which is one of the ten environmental data centres in Europe and is the focal point for soil data at European level. This European Soil Portal contributes to a thematic data infrastructure for soils in Europe. It presents data and information regarding soils at European level. It connects to activities within JRC concerning soil (JRC SOIL Action). It serves also as a vehicle to promote the activities of the European Soil Bureau Network. Spatial data collection and processing within this infrastructure is performed according to emerging ideas behind the INSPIRE (Infrastructure for Spatial Information in Europe) initiative.
- Soil Datasets: The European Soil Portal contains currently many soil data, maps, information, Atlases and applications; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided.
at JRC: Soil activities within the JRC are concentrated in a specific
JRC Action, called FP7 "Soil Data and Information Systems" or SOIL. Thematic Assessement Soil in the "State of Environment Report (SOER2010) is also available.
- Documents - Publications:
European Soil Bureau Research Reports, JRC Scientific and Technical
Reports, Papers in Journals, Publications in Conferences, Posters
and Publications in CD-ROMs, Glossary of Soil Terms.
- Soil Projects: many past and current
projects relate to the soil activities of JRC .
- Soil Themes: covers various results for
different soil themes such as Erosion, soil Organic Carbon Content,
Salinisation, Landslides, Soil Compaction, Biodiversity and soil Contamination.
- European Soil Bureau
Network (ESBN): is a network of soil institutes supporting the
JRC soil activities
- International Cooperation: presents the most Important International Cooperations that Soil Action is participating (Global Soil Partnership, Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative, GlobalSoilMap.net, Sino-EU Panel on Land and Soil)
- Events - Presentations
in various events(Conferences, Workshops, Meetings, Summer Schools)
which are related to the work that the Land Management Unit is doing
in relation to the European Soil Bureau Network. Calendar of future
events is also available.
- Awareness Raising
Our Goal as Soil Action is to Establish an action plan for the development of measures/programmes/initiatives to raise awareness of the importance of soil across European society (i.e. policy makers, general public, universities, schools, industry, etc.).
- What's new? chronology of
items added to this soil portal. Get the NEWS in
format and the monthly Newsletters.
- Various : A mailing list has been set up in
order to keep interested persons up to date with the latest contents
on this site. Other Tools such as the Search Engine are also available.
- Action SOIL: the people at JRC behind the soil activities.
key pointers to soil related bodies and International Organisations
World Soil Day: 5th December
- Agricultural Soil Organic Carbon (SOC) stocks
- (02/12/13). The future EU policy in agriculture will utilized SOC as indicator, both as a main parameter of soil quality and as a strategy to offset CO2 emission by C sequestration. We estimated a current top SOC stock of 17.63 Gt in EU agricultural soils, by an unprecedented model application running about 164,000 combination of climate, soil and land use/management. Data are available for download.
- l'Atlas européen de la Biodiversité des Sols
- (02/12/13) l'occasion de la Journée Mondiale des Sols, le Centre commun de recherche (JRC), service scientifique de la Commission européenne, publie la version française de sa cartographie unique des sols européens , 5 décembre 2013 à Paris.
- Soil Erosion in Crete
- (18/11/13) A new soil erosion model, namely G2, was applied in the island of Crete with a focus on agricultural landuses, including potential grazing lands. Download the data layers: monthly erosion, rainfall erosivity, vegetation retention, soil erodibility...
- European Regional Partnership
- (13/11/13) On 31 October and taking the opportunity of the second Global Soil Week, the Global Soil Partnership Secretariat convened a workshop to discuss about the establishment of the European Soil Partnership. The Berlin communiqué was prepared by the participants GSP partners and agreed to establish the European Soil Partnership whose Secretariat is based in Ispra, Italy . Download the ..Berlin communiqué.
- Report on 2nd Global Soil Week
- (11/11/13) The second Global Soil Week (GSW 2013) convened in Berlin, Germany, from Sunday, 27 October, to Thursday, 31 October 2013, on the theme "Losing Ground?" Dowload the Summary Report.
- Additional Spatial layers derived from the ESDB
- (31/10/13) Download the data layers: Total available water content, Depth available to roots, Clay, Silt, Sand, Organic carbon, Bulk Density, Coarse fragments....more...
- Meeting FP7 Project coordinators
- (22/10/13) In June 2013, DG RTD organised a workshop on "Fostering innovative dialogue between researchers and stakeholders to meet future challenges: Land, Soil, Desertification, Urban and Community-Based Environmental Management". Participants of this workshop were members of the European Commission services, FP7 project COORDINATORS and stakeholders ...more...
- The LUCAS Topsoil data are made available
- (10/09/13) The available datasets include data from 19,969 samples from 25 Member States. Samples have been analysed for the percentage of coarse fragments, particle size distribution (% clay, silt and sand content), pH (in CaCl2 and H2O), organic carbon (g/kg), carbonate content (g/kg), phosphorous content (mg/kg), total nitrogen content (g/kg), extractable potassium content (mg/kg) , cation exchange capacity (cmol(+)/kg) and for most samples multispectral properties ....More info...
- LUCAS Topsoil Survey: methodology, data and results
- (10/09/13) In 2009, the European Commission extended the periodic Land Use/Land Cover Area Frame Survey (LUCAS) to sample and analyse the main properties of topsoil in 23 Member States of the European Union (EU)...Download it...
- Sino-EU Seminar on land resource allocation
- (10/09/13) Land and soil experts from China and Europe gathered in Brussels on the 15th April 2013 to discuss the most stressing issues related to land resources allocation in these two regions of the World..more...
- 18 peer-review publications from SOIL action in 2012
- (03/09/13) The SOIL team has published 18 peer review articles in scientific journal during 2012....more...
- Mapping Soil Properties for Europe - Spatial Representation of Soil Database Attributes
- (27/08/13) In this study a layer of mapped typological units was used to resolve issues related to the database structure for the spatial representation of soil properties and to map key soil properties to standardized spatial layers ...Download...
- Soil Resources of Mediterranean and Caucasus Countries
- (03/06/13) This book is result of the workshop on "Extension of the European Soil Database" held in Izmir/Turkey on 14-15 May 2012. The country reports on the status of soil mapping and the development of national soil information system......Download it....
- Contribute to the Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas
- (03/06/13) Pick one of your pictures on soil and its biodiversity and send it to us. Get more information about this Photo Contest (EN, FR, DE, IT) . The best selected pictures will be published in the forthcoming atlas.
- Soil Atlas of Africa
- (02/05/13) The Soil Atlas of Africa, the first of its kind, uses striking maps, informative texts and stunning photographs to present the diversity of soil across the African continent. The aim of the atlas is to raise awareness at all levels, from politicians to the general public, of the significance of soil to life in Africa. With its stunning full-colour maps and illustrations,....Download the PDF....
- Mapping Soil Typologies - Spatial Decision Support Applied to European Soil Database
- (02/05/13) For many applications of modelling environmental conditions or processes soil characteristics are needed in form of spatial data ready to be integrated in a GIS. A source of uniform data on characteristics of European soils is available from the European Soil Database (ESDB) of the European Soil Bureau...more....
- Global Soil Biodiversity Assessment and Atlas
- (10/04/13) In the frame of the Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative, the SOIL Action of the Joint Research Centre's Institute for Environment and Sustainability is glad to announce that the writing of the Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas (GSBA) has been scheduled....more......
- Climate Change Regional Indicators of Change and Extremes
- (04/04/13) Indicators of climate change and extremes from regional models coming from 3 sources: PRUDENCE project of the Danish Meteorological Institute, consortial simulation of the Climate Limited-area Modelling (CLM) Community, 12 runs of bias-corrected data from the ENSEMBLES project...... Download data...
- Climate change, impacts and vulnerability in Europe 2012
- (22/2/13) EEA report presents information on past and projected climate change and related impacts in Europe, based on a range of indicators. The Soil Chapter has been drafted by the JRC SOIL Team. Download Report...