This European Soil Portal is an integral part of the European Soil Data Centre, which is one of the ten environmental data centres in Europe and is the focal point for soil data at European level. This European Soil Portal contributes to a thematic data infrastructure for soils in Europe. It presents data and information regarding soils at European level. It connects to activities within JRC concerning soil (JRC SOIL Action). It serves also as a vehicle to promote the activities of the European Soil Bureau Network. Spatial data collection and processing within this infrastructure is performed according to emerging ideas behind the INSPIRE (Infrastructure for Spatial Information in Europe) initiative.
- Soil Datasets: The European Soil Portal contains currently many soil data, maps, information, Atlases and applications; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided.
at JRC: Soil activities within the JRC are concentrated in a specific
JRC Action, called FP7 "Soil Data and Information Systems" or SOIL. Thematic Assessement Soil in the "State of Environment Report (SOER2010) is also available.
- Documents - Publications:
European Soil Bureau Research Reports, JRC Scientific and Technical
Reports, Papers in Journals, Publications in Conferences, Posters
and Publications in CD-ROMs, Glossary of Soil Terms.
- Soil Projects: many past and current
projects relate to the soil activities of JRC .
- Soil Themes: covers various results for
different soil themes such as Erosion, soil Organic Carbon Content,
Salinisation, Landslides, Soil Compaction, Biodiversity and soil Contamination.
- European Soil Bureau
Network (ESBN): is a network of soil institutes supporting the
JRC soil activities
- International Cooperation: presents the most Important International Cooperations that Soil Action is participating (Global Soil Partnership, Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative, GlobalSoilMap.net, Sino-EU Panel on Land and Soil)
- Events - Presentations
in various events(Conferences, Workshops, Meetings, Summer Schools)
which are related to the work that the Land Management Unit is doing
in relation to the European Soil Bureau Network. Calendar of future
events is also available.
- Awareness Raising
Our Goal as Soil Action is to Establish an action plan for the development of measures/programmes/initiatives to raise awareness of the importance of soil across European society (i.e. policy makers, general public, universities, schools, industry, etc.).
- What's new? chronology of
items added to this soil portal. Get the NEWS in
format and the monthly Newsletters.
- Various : A mailing list has been set up in
order to keep interested persons up to date with the latest contents
on this site. Other Tools such as the Search Engine are also available.
- Action SOIL: the people at JRC behind the soil activities.
key pointers to soil related bodies and International Organisations
World Soil Day: 5th December
- Land Quality and Landscape Processes Conference
- (11/9/14) Scientific assessment of land qualities, their changes and underlying landscape processes are essential to produce comprehensive evaluation of land-based ecosystem services. Only with reliable information on land quality and its possible changes can resource efficient and sustainable land management applied.
- E-BOOK versions of the Soil Atlas of Africa
- (8/9/14) As an alternative to the printed and pdf versions of the Soil Atlas of Africa, the JRC's Soil Resource Assessment Project (IES Land Resource Management Unit) is pleased to announce that the publication is now available in e-Book formats for both ePUB apps and Kindle devices or apps....Download
- Extending Geographic and Thematic Range of SPADE/M with HYPRES Soil Profile Data
- (21/8/14) The measured soil profile data of the Hydraulic Properties of European Soils (HYPRES) were evaluated for their potential use in extending the geographic coverage and thematic range of the profiles of the Soil Profile Analytical Database of Europe of measured profiles (SPADE/M) database....Download the scientific report...
- Soil data of Africa
- (2/7/14) The data underpinning the Soil Atlas of Africa will gradually be made available for download. In the first instance, a Shape file is available describing the dominant WRB Reference Soil Group and associated qualifiers.....Download the shape files...
- Wind erosion susceptibility of European soils
- (2/7/14) The wind-erodible fraction of soil (EF) is one of the key parameters for estimating the susceptibility of soil to wind erosion. The predication of the spatial distribution of the EF and a soil surface crust index drew on a series of related but independent covariates, using a digital soil mapping approach.....Download the Raster files...
- Persistence in Soil Analytical Model (PERSAM) software tool
- (2/7/14) The EFSA data page has been expanded with a download facility for the standalone Persistence in Soil Analytical Model (PERSAM) software tool for calculating the predicted environmental concentrations (PEC) of plant protection products (PPP) in soil. The tool assists the user in performing calculations using the analytic model.....Download the PERSAM...
- Soil carbon sequestration for climate food security and ecosystem services
- (2/7/14) The international conference SOIL CARBON SEQUESTRATION for climate, food security and ecosystem services – linking science, policy and action (SCS2013) took place in Reykjavik Iceland on 27. – 29. May 2013. The conference proceedings aim to present how the potential role of soil carbon sequestration has been discussed along different sessions (forest/ cropland/ revegetation/ desertification/ wetland/ rangeland/ verification) and from different perspectives....Download the Proccedings...
- First Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative Conference
- (2/7/14) The Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative (GSBI) and EcoFINDERS are pleased to announce the First GSBI Conference - Assessing Soil Biodiversity and its Role for Ecosystem Services, to be held in Dijon, France, December 2-5th, 2014.
- Launch of European Soil Partnership
- (23/6/14) The European Commission, together with the institutions represented in the steering committee of the ESP, has taken up the lead in organizing this new European initiative. The aim is to bring together the various scattered networks and soil related activities into a common framework, open to all institutions and stakeholders willing to actively contribute to sustainable soil management in Europe.
As a first step the JRC convened the first plenary meeting of the ESP, 21-22 May 2014. The meeting was open to all interested stakeholders and institutions and set the foundations for the future activities of the ESP. ...... more.
- Using soils to mitigate carbon emissions
- (20/6/14) JRC scientists finds that making alternative uses of arable land could potentially help capture significant amounts of carbon from the atmosphere. They investigated the potential carbon sequestration of six of the most representative agricultural management practices on arable soils, and finded that the conversion of arable land to grassland results in the highest potential soil organic carbon (SOC) sequestration rates ...... Download the data.
- JRC in 20 WCSS
- (17/6/14) The European Commission, Joint Research Centre organised a booth stand in the 20th World Congress of Soil Science (20WCSS). The stand hosted more than 1,500 scientists interested in our activities. During the 6 days event, we have distributed 1,000 posters of the World Soil Distribution ...... Download the WRB Poster.
- Land Take & Food Security
- (30/4/14) Using Remote sensing data and productivity figures, we have estimated the effect of land take on Europe's ability to produce food, considering data from the period from 1990 to 2006. In 182 Regions of the studied 19 Countries, the Potential Agricultural Production Capability was calculated at 6,2 Million tonnes of wheat for the period 1990–2006. ...... Download the data.
- Data on contaminated sites
- (2/4/14) The data that form the basis for the recently published JRC Reference Report "Progress in the Management of Contaminated Sites in Europe" are available to the public, as an MS Excel file that incorporates not only the data collected in 2012/2012 but also the data from previous exercises...... Download the data.
- Soil Erosion in Italy (USLE) and assessment in Forest lands
- (9/3/14) The past project on soil erosion in Italy (using USLE) are making the results available.RC also presents a thorough approach (assessment in forest lands), based on the application of multi-spectral remote sensing Landsat imagery,...... Download the data.
- Soil Erodibility (K-factor) high resolution dataset
- (3/3/14). A harmonised high-resolution soil erodibility map (with a grid cell size of 500 m) for the 25 EU Member States was developed in 2014. Ths high-resolution soil erodibility map (500m) version 2014 incorporates certain improvements over the coarse-resolution map (10km) version 2011: Increased accuracy (Cubist interpolation method), Verification with other studies, Stoniness effect, Coarse fragements & soil structure inclusion and 25 European countries included..... Download the data.
- Progress in the Management of Contaminated Sites in Europe
- (3/3/14). This report presents facts, analyses and methods on the management of Contaminated Sites, which can inform policy makers, professional practitioners, researchers, citizens and the media. The report is based on data that were collected from the National Reference Centres for Soil in 39 countries belonging to the European Environment Information and Observation Network (EIONET) during a campaign organised by the JRC European Soil Data Centre in 2011-2012.... Download.
- Soil Atlas of Latin America and the Caribbean
- (14/2/14). The European Commission's in-house science service today publishes the first ever comprehensive overview of the soils of Latin America and the Caribbean. The atlas is designed to reach the general public, the education sector and policy makers dealing with environmental, agricultural and social issues. The first edition entitled: el Atlas de suelos de América Latina y el Caribe is published in Spanish. Portuguese and English versions will follow.. .... Download.