Soil Datasets > Data > Soil Projects Data > EFSA Data & Tools
This webpage was prepared in the context of the collaboration agreement between JRC and EFSA. It contains soil, weather and crop data collected by JRC and organised by EFSA for the purpose of this website. The site also hosts the software tool PERSAM for Predicting Environmental Concentrations in soil in support of the: "EFSA Guidance Document for predicting environmental concentrations of active substances of plant protection products and transformation products of these active substances in soil". EFSA was asked by the European Commission to prepare this Guidance Document.
Download the data and the PERSAM software tool
To get access to the data (Version 1.1 or Version 1.0) and the PERSAM tool (Version 1.0.3 or Version 1.0.2) with associated User Manuals, please compile the online form; instructions will then follow how to download the data and the PERSAM tool. By submitting the on-line form , you agree with the terms and conditions associated to the data and the tool.
Information about the data and the PERSAM software tool
The first EFSA Spatial Data set (Version 1.0) was made available in May 2011 created, on the basis of the dataset provided by JRC (see Gardi et al., 2008). Some users commented on inconsistencies in the data, mainly with respect to the spatial characteristics of various layers. The JRC reprocessed all thematic layers from their respective sources. This task resulted in an update to the previous data, hereafter referred to as EFSA Spatial Data Version 1.1 (November 2012). This dataset was supplemented with data from the CAPRI land cover database (Leip et al., 2008).
The data/maps are provided as rasters (ASCII grid), in the ETRS89 Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area projection system.
The following 62 datasets are available:
- General datasets (6): EFSA Data Mask, EFSA European Union Cover, EFSA Regulatory Zones, EFSA Corine Land Cover Data, EFSA Generalized Land Use Map, FOCUS Zones
- Meteorological datasets (27): Mean monthly temperature (12 maps, each per month), Mean annual temperature, Arrhenius weighted mean annual temperature, Mean monthly precipitation (12 maps, each per month), Mean annual precipitation
- Soil datasets (5): Topsoil Organic Matter content, Topsoil pH water, Topsoil Bulk Density, Topsoil Texture Class, Topsoil Water Content at Field Capacity
- CAPRI2000 Crop Datasets (24): EFSA-CAPRI Common Mask, Barley, Common wheat, Durum wheat, Fallow land, Floriculture, Maize, Oats, Other cereals, Other annual crops, Fodder other on arable land, Other non permanent industrial crops, Other root crops, Other fresh vegetables, Potatoes, Dry pulses, Rape and turnip rape, Rye, Soya, Sugar beet, Sunflower, Fibre and oleaginous crops, Tobacco, Tomatoes
Common properties for the maps are:
|Format:||ESRI ARCRASTER ASCII|
|Reference system:||ETRS 89 LAEA|
Documentation on the data:
- Report on the activities realized within the Service Level Agreement between JRC and EFSA
- EFSA Spatial Data Version 1.1 Data Properties and Processing
Documentation in relation to the PERSAM software tool:
- The tool assists the user in performing calculations using the analytic model, as described in the scientific opinion "EFSA Panel on Plant Protection Products and their Residues; Scientific Opinion on the science behind the guidance for scenario selection and scenario parameterisation for predicting environmental concentrations in soil. EFSA Journal 2012;10(2):2562. [76 pp.] "
- PERSAM User Manual (Version 1.0.3) (Belonging to PERSAM software tool 1.0.3; available from 12.2.2015)
- PERSAM User Manual (Version 1.0) (Belonging to PERSAM software tool 1.0.2; available from July 2014)
- The PERSAM tool is for the moment only intended for use in the context of the public consultation of the EFSA draft Guide Document on PECs in soil and is currently not intended for regulatory use in support of (EC) regulation 1107/2009
Helpdesk - Contacts
- For additional information on the data, please contact Mark.EGSMOSE(at)efsa.europa.eu, European Food Safety Authority.
- For any technical problem with the data, please contact panos.panagos(at)jrc.ec.europa.eu, JRC.
- For any problem or question related to the PERSAM tool, please contact marc.van-liedekerke(at)jrc.ec.europa.eu, JRC.
Additional Information on the data(It is recommended to read the Documentation)
1. EFSA Data Mask (Filename: EFSA_DATA_MASK.asc)
|The EFSA data mask layer combines the Eurostat GISCO country layer (EFSA_EU27) with a mask generated from the land cover layer (EFSA_CLC2000). The land cover mask uses CLC classes 1 to 38 and excludes all other classes. The EFSA data mask includes areas not covered by the CAPRI data, such as Malta or Cyprus.
2. EFSA Cover EU Member States (Filename: EFSA_EU27.asc)
|The layer uses the Eurostat GISCO reference data for administrative boundaries (Country 2010 from 2012). The layer is compatible with the latest data on administrative boundaries (NUTS). The vector data was rasterized to the EFSA specifications.|
3. EU Regulatory Zones (Filename: EFSA_EU_REGULATORY_ZONES.asc)
|The cover of the EU Regulatory Zones layer was extended to include Malta and Cyprus, as specified in EFSA, 2010.|
4. EFSA Corine Land Cover Data (Filename: EFSA_CLC2000.asc)
|The Corine Land Cover 2000 data (CLC2000) from the European Environment Agency (EEA) processed for the EFSA up-date was the raster layer at 250 m resolution of Version 16 from June, 2012 (EEA, 2012).|
5. EFSA Generalized Land Use Map (Filename: EFSA_GENERAL_LU.asc)
|The layer of Generalized Land Use is generated from the EFSA_CLC2000 layer by re-assigning classes according to the arrangement given below:
Number - Description - Corine LC Legend ID
1 Annual Crops 12, 13, 19-21
2 Grass 18
3 Permanent crops 15-17 and 22
4 Rice 14
5 Non agricultural all other classes
6. Mean Monthly Temperature (Filenames: EFSA_TMEAN_MONTH1.asc..........EFSA_TMEAN_MONTH12.asc)
|The dataset consists of 12 maps containing the monthly mean temperature (deg C) for the period 1960-1990. The dataset is described in Hijmans et al. (2005). Source: WorldClim, current conditions 30arc sec.
7.Mean Annual Temperature (Filename: EFSA_TMEAN_YEAR.asc)
| The mean annual temperature is calculated form the mean monthly temperature weighted by calendar days for each month.
8. Arrhenius Weighted Mean Annual Temperature (EFSA_TEFF.asc)
|For the calculation of the Arrhenius weighted mean annual temperature the equation given in EFSA 2010 was applied.|
9. Mean Monthly Precipitation (Filenames: EFSA_PREC_MONTH1.asc........EFSA_PREC_MONTH12.asc)
|The dataset consists of 12 maps containing the monthly mean precipitation (mm/month) for the period 1960-1990. The dataset is described in Hijmans et al. (2005).
10. Total Mean Annual Precipitation (EFSA_PREC_YEAR.asc)
|The total mean annual precipitation is calculated as the sum of the mean monthly precipitation.|
11. FOCUS Zones (Filename: EFSA_FOCUS_ZONES.asc)
|The FOCUS Zones layer was calculated from the meteorological data by the classification scheme given in FOCUS (2000).|
12. Topsoil Organic Matter (Filename: EFSA_OM_TOP.asc)
|The layer of organic matter concentrations in the topsoil was calculated from topsoil organic carbon by applying a factor of 1.72.|
13. Topsoil pH water (Filename: EFSA_PH_TOP.asc)
|The topsoil pH layer is compiled from the Harmonized World Soil Database (HWSD) Version 1.1. The data represents the pH water given for the dominant soil unit in the mapping unit.|
14. Topsoil Bulk Density (Filename: EFSA_BD_TOP.asc)
|The EFSA topsoil bulk density layer was derived from the organic matter layer using a pedo-transfer function (PTF) (Tiktak, et al., 2002).|
15. Topsoil Texture Class (Filename: EFSA_TEXTURE_TOP.asc)
|The EFSA texture classes are derived from the Harmonised World Soil Database (HWSD). The classes are aligned to the classes used in the European Soil Database.|
16. Topsoil Water Content at Field Capacity (Filename: EFSA_THETA_FC_TOP.asc)
|The equation used to calculate the topsoil water content at field capacity is based on the Mualem-Van Genuchten equation (van Genuchten, 1980).|
17. Capri land use maps (Filename: EFSA_CAPRI_MASK.asc + EFSA_CAPRI_cropname.asc)
|The data set "Agricultural Landuse 2000" (referred to as CAPRI2000) was made available to EFSA by the JRC AFOLU project "Greenhouse Gases in Agriculture, Forestry and other land uses in Europe". Meta-information on the data set and a download option is available from the project portal (http://afoludata.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php/dataset/detail/34). The data are documented in Leip, et al., 2008. Any questions concerning the data and their use should be addressed to the point of contact: [adrian.leip(at)jrc.ec.europa.eu].|
|Important legal notice
© European Communities, 1995-
| European Commission - Joint
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Marc Van Liedekerke(tel. +39-0332-785179)
Panos Panagos (tel. +39-0332-785574)