This European Soil Portal is an integral part of the European Soil Data Centre, which is one of the ten environmental data centres in Europe and is the focal point for soil data at European level. This European Soil Portal contributes to a thematic data infrastructure for soils in Europe. It presents data and information regarding soils at European level. It connects to activities within JRC concerning soil (JRC SOIL Action). It serves also as a vehicle to promote the activities of the European Soil Bureau Network. Spatial data collection and processing within this infrastructure is performed according to emerging ideas behind the INSPIRE (Infrastructure for Spatial Information in Europe) initiative.
- Soil Datasets: The European Soil Portal contains currently many soil data, maps, information, Atlases and applications; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided.
at JRC: Soil activities within the JRC are concentrated in a specific
JRC Action, called FP7 "Soil Data and Information Systems" or SOIL. Thematic Assessement Soil in the "State of Environment Report (SOER2010) is also available.
- Documents - Publications:
European Soil Bureau Research Reports, JRC Scientific and Technical
Reports, Papers in Journals, Publications in Conferences, Posters
and Publications in CD-ROMs, Glossary of Soil Terms.
- Soil Projects: many past and current
projects relate to the soil activities of JRC .
- Soil Themes: covers various results for
different soil themes such as Erosion, soil Organic Carbon Content,
Salinisation, Landslides, Soil Compaction, Biodiversity and soil Contamination.
- European Soil Bureau
Network (ESBN): is a network of soil institutes supporting the
JRC soil activities
- International Cooperation: presents the most Important International Cooperations that Soil Action is participating (Global Soil Partnership, Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative, GlobalSoilMap.net, Sino-EU Panel on Land and Soil)
- Events - Presentations
in various events(Conferences, Workshops, Meetings, Summer Schools)
which are related to the work that the Land Management Unit is doing
in relation to the European Soil Bureau Network. Calendar of future
events is also available.
- Awareness Raising
Our Goal as Soil Action is to Establish an action plan for the development of measures/programmes/initiatives to raise awareness of the importance of soil across European society (i.e. policy makers, general public, universities, schools, industry, etc.).
- What's new? chronology of
items added to this soil portal. Get the NEWS in
format and the monthly Newsletters.
- Various : A mailing list has been set up in
order to keep interested persons up to date with the latest contents
on this site. Other Tools such as the Search Engine are also available.
- Action SOIL: the people at JRC behind the soil activities.
key pointers to soil related bodies and International Organisations
World Soil Day: 5th December
- Cover Management (C-factor)
- (26/5/15) The Cover Management high resolution dataset (100 m) is based on hybrid C-factor Land Use and Management (LANDUM) model. LANDUM model for C-factor estimation is differentiated between a) arable lands and b) all other land uses .... Download the data
- Landform classification
- (22/5/15) The landform classification following Meybeck et al. (2001) presents relief classes, which are calculated based on the relief roughness. The landform classification following Iwahashi and Pike (2007) present relief classes which are classified using an unsupervised nested-means algorithms .... Download the data
- Application of eSOTER in DANUBE
- (21/5/15) In 5-6 February 2015, JRC organized a workshop to start the development of a 1:250,000 soil database for the Danube Basin using eSOTER methodology. ..... Download the presentations
- P-factor (Support practices) at European scale
- (20/4/15) The USLE/RUSLE support practice factor (P-factor) is rarely taken into account in soil erosion risk modelling at sub-continental scale, as it is difficult to estimate for large areas. This study attempts to model the P-factor in the European Union..... Download the data
- Slope Length and Steepness factor (LS-factor)
- (20/4/15) ESDAC has developed a new pan-European high-resolution soil erosion assessment to achieve a better understanding of the spatial and temporal patterns of soil erosion in Europe. LS-factor is available at two different resolution: a) 100m resolution for the Whole Europe and b) 25m resolution per country..... Download the data
- SoilTrEC book for secondary school and 12 factsheets
- (20/4/15) e Target audience for the book is school children from 11-18. The soil issues presented can help both students and teachers to think in a holistic way about soil ..... Download the book
- Soil Erodibility dataset in EU-28 and other European countries
- (27/3/15) Due to a number of requests from non-EU users, we also make available the Extrapolated datasets covering also Norway, Switzerland, Balkan states, Moldova and Ukraine.....Download the data
- International Year of Soils 2015
- (5/3/15) The FAO IYS communications toolkit provides tools and suggestions for informing and engaging the public in soil-related activities. Read through the texts provided in this section for key infomation and tips. Use the toolkit videos, photos and promotional materials to increase awareness and understanding of the importance of soils..... More
- Calendar 2015 - Soil functions: keeping the Earth alive
- (18/2/15) While not widely appreciated by most people, soil is actually at the heart of nearly all terrestrial processes on which human and ecological well-being depends. Soil provides, regulates and supports a number of ecosystem services on which issues such as food security...... Download it
- Rainfall Erosivity in Europe
- (29/1/15) The purpose of this study is to assess rainfall erosivity in Europe in the form of the RUSLE R-factor, based on the best available datasets. Data have been collected from 1,541 precipitation stations in all European Union(EU) Member States and Switzerland, with temporal resolutions of 5 to 60 minutes. The R-factor values calculated from precipitation data of different temporal resolutions were normalised to R-factor values with temporal resolutions of 30 minutes using linear regression functions. Download the data: More
- Soil Atlas 2015
- (13/1/15) Soil Atlas 2015 is an easy-to-read, informative and well laid out publication that gives clear facts and figures on the global significance and state of land, soil and agriculture, and proposes solutions for the protection of soil resources. The Atlas is available both in English and German.
- Using DNA barcodes for soil biodiversity assessment
- (12/12/14) JRC scientists published a joint study on the use of metabarcoding to characterise soil biodiversity. The published paper presents the opportunities and challenges of this relatively new methodology, and proposes solutions to facilitate its common application. Metabarcoding is a molecular approach based on the assumption that Operational Taxonomic Units . .....More
- New Hydraulic pedotransfer functions for Europe
- (13/11/14) Point and parametric PTFs of soil hydraulic properties are provided for applications in Europe with a hierarchical input data approach, based on a systematic assessment of data available for continental soil hydrological applications. All functions are accessible both in tables and built in to the 'euptf' R package. .....More
- Topsoil organic carbon (LUCAS)
- (5/11/14) The map was created by applying digital soil mapping techniques to the first European harmonised geo-referenced topsoil (0–20 cm) database, which arises from the LUCAS survey. Uncertainties of the organic carbon content predictions were estimated. Three datasets are made available: Predicted topsoil organic carbon content (g C kg-1), standard error of the OC model predictions (g C kg-1) and measured OC content at the LUCAS points. Download the data
- Wind Erosion modelling
- (21/10/14) ESDAC makes available 2 new datasets: 1. An Index of Land Susceptibility to Wind Erosion (ILSWE) was created by combining spatiotemporal variations of the most influential wind erosion factors. 2. Wind Erodible fraction is one of the key parameters for estimating the susceptibility of soil to wind erosion. .......Download data
- Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas
- (20/10/14) The Joint Research Centre of European Commission and the Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative are pleased to announce the writing of the first Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas. .......more info
- 20 peer-review publications from the SOIL group in 2013
- (14/10/14) The SOIL team has published 17 peer reviewed publications during 2013 in various journals such as Global Change Biology, PLOS, Ecological Indicators, Science of Total Environment, SPRINGER, Vadose, Journal of Environmental and Public Health, Landslides, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, Ecological Research ...etc .....Download