This European Soil Portal is an integral part of the European Soil Data Centre, which is one of the ten environmental data centres in Europe and is the focal point for soil data at European level. This European Soil Portal contributes to a thematic data infrastructure for soils in Europe. It presents data and information regarding soils at European level. It connects to activities within JRC concerning soil (JRC SOIL Action). It serves also as a vehicle to promote the activities of the European Soil Bureau Network. Spatial data collection and processing within this infrastructure is performed according to emerging ideas behind the INSPIRE (Infrastructure for Spatial Information in Europe) initiative.
- Soil Datasets: The European Soil Portal contains currently many soil data, maps, information, Atlases and applications; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided.
at JRC: Soil activities within the JRC are concentrated in a specific
JRC Action, called FP7 "Soil Data and Information Systems" or SOIL. Thematic Assessement Soil in the "State of Environment Report (SOER2010) is also available.
- Documents - Publications:
European Soil Bureau Research Reports, JRC Scientific and Technical
Reports, Papers in Journals, Publications in Conferences, Posters
and Publications in CD-ROMs, Glossary of Soil Terms.
- Soil Projects: many past and current
projects relate to the soil activities of JRC .
- Soil Themes: covers various results for
different soil themes such as Erosion, soil Organic Carbon Content,
Salinisation, Landslides, Soil Compaction, Biodiversity and soil Contamination.
- European Soil Bureau
Network (ESBN): is a network of soil institutes supporting the
JRC soil activities
- International Cooperation: presents the most Important International Cooperations that Soil Action is participating (Global Soil Partnership, Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative, GlobalSoilMap.net, Sino-EU Panel on Land and Soil)
- Events - Presentations
in various events(Conferences, Workshops, Meetings, Summer Schools)
which are related to the work that the Land Management Unit is doing
in relation to the European Soil Bureau Network. Calendar of future
events is also available.
- Awareness Raising
Our Goal as Soil Action is to Establish an action plan for the development of measures/programmes/initiatives to raise awareness of the importance of soil across European society (i.e. policy makers, general public, universities, schools, industry, etc.).
- What's new? chronology of
items added to this soil portal. Get the NEWS in
format and the monthly Newsletters.
- Various : A mailing list has been set up in
order to keep interested persons up to date with the latest contents
on this site. Other Tools such as the Search Engine are also available.
- Action SOIL: the people at JRC behind the soil activities.
key pointers to soil related bodies and International Organisations
World Soil Day: 5th December
- Soil Resources of Mediterranean and Caucasus Countries
- (03/06/13) Tis book is result of the workshop on "Extension of the European Soil Database" held in Izmir/Turkey on 14-15 May 2012. The country reports on the status of soil mapping and the development of national soil information system......Download it....
- Contribute to the Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas
- (03/06/13) Pick one of your pictures on soil and its biodiversity and send it to us. Get more information about this Photo Contest (EN, FR, DE, IT) . The best selected pictures will be published in the forthcoming atlas.
- Soil Atlas of Africa
- (02/05/13) The Soil Atlas of Africa, the first of its kind, uses striking maps, informative texts and stunning photographs to present the diversity of soil across the African continent. The aim of the atlas is to raise awareness at all levels, from politicians to the general public, of the significance of soil to life in Africa. With its stunning full-colour maps and illustrations,....Download the PDF....
- Mapping Soil Typologies - Spatial Decision Support Applied to European Soil Database
- (02/05/13) For many applications of modelling environmental conditions or processes soil characteristics are needed in form of spatial data ready to be integrated in a GIS. A source of uniform data on characteristics of European soils is available from the European Soil Database (ESDB) of the European Soil Bureau...more....
- Call for proposals
- (02/05/13) LIFE+ 2013, Land and soil targets under the 2014 land communication (DG ENV), Economics of soils in (peri-)urban (EEA) ...more....
- Survey on threats to soil biodiversity
- (17/04/13)This survey is being conducted to allow us to assess the potential threats to soil biodiversity at global scale.It will take 5 minutes of your time to give us your feedback..more......
- Global Soil Biodiversity Assessment and Atlas
- (10/04/13) In the frame of the Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative, the SOIL Action of the Joint Research Centre's Institute for Environment and Sustainability is glad to announce that the writing of the Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas (GSBA) has been scheduled....more......
- Climate Change Regional Indicators of Change and Extremes
- (04/04/13) Indicators of climate change and extremes from regional models coming from 3 sources: PRUDENCE project of the Danish Meteorological Institute, consortial simulation of the Climate Limited-area Modelling (CLM) Community, 12 runs of bias-corrected data from the ENSEMBLES project...... Download data...
- 2013 LIFE+
- (15/3/13) The seventh LIFE+ call for proposals was published on 19 February 2013, with up to €278 million available for co-financing of projects under three headings: Nature and Biodiversity (NAT), Environment Policy and Governance (ENV) and Information and Communication (INF). View the call...
- Climate change, impacts and vulnerability in Europe 2012
- (22/2/13) EEA report presents information on past and projected climate change and related impacts in Europe, based on a range of indicators. The Soil Chapter has been drafted by the JRC SOIL Team. Download Report...
- European Landslide Susceptibility Map
- (15/2/13) This newly available raster map, called ELSUS1000, shows levels of spatial probability of landslide occurrence in EU member states and neighbouring countries at 1 km resolution...... Download data...
- Meeting FP7 project Coordinators
- (14/2/13) On 22-23 October 2012 DG RTD organised a meeting of European Commission services with the FP7 project Coordinatos in Urban Issues, Soil Biodiversity, Desertification and Land Degradation. Those projects have been funded by the Environment Programme of DG RTD, Unit "Management of Natural Resources". ..... more...
- Landslide inventories in Europe and policy recommendations for their interoperability and harmonisation - A JRC contribution to the EU-FP7 SafeLand project
- (08/2/13) This report provides a detailed review of existing national landslide inventories as well as of a number of regional inventories in EU member states and neighbouring countries...... Download...
- EIONET Meeting (December 2012)
- (23/1/13) This workshop was held at JRC Ispra from 10 to 12 December 2012, organized by the Institute of Environment and Sustainability (IES) of the JRC. he presentations of the EIONET Workshop Soil are now available. ..... more...
- Wind Erosion Data set
- (15/1/13) The dataset provides an overview of the geographic spread of areas prone to wind erosion. This dataset shows the 30 year average soil erosivity according to climatic conditions ..... more...
- EFSA Spatial Data set (Version 1.1)
- (30/11/12) Download the new version (1.1) of the 52 data layers which consist the EFSA Spatial Data set. The data have been reprocessed... more...