Team - Action SOIL > Panos Panagos
Portrait: Panos Panagos
| Panagos Panos has studied Informatics
in the homonymous Department of Athens University of Economics & Business
during the period 1989-1993. He also received a Master in Business
Administration (MBA) in University of Patras(Greece). From 1993 to 1997
he has worked as a software developer in the private sector in Greece
and then moved to Brussels, Belgium. During the period 1997-2000 he has
been IT consultant for European Commission in relation to the project
Euro Info Centres (DG Enterprise), after which he returned to Greece to
become the Head of the Information Systems Department at the private company
He joined the European Commission - Joint Research Centre in 2001 with duties in database administration and development of GIS and Web applications. He has participated in the many FP5, FP6 and FP7 projects EUROHARP, PECOMINES, EWCZ-EuWASP, Geoland-2, DIGISOIL, I-Soil, eSoter, SoilTrEC, CASCADE, EcoFinders. He joined the Land Management and Natural Hazards Unit in 2006.
His role in SOIL action is to develop and maintain the European Soil Portal and the development of the European Soil Data Centre . He is responsible for the development of Applications and the implementation of Web Mapping Services(WMS) in the Soil Portal. He is also involved in the development of the "European Soil Database (distribution version 2)" and in various projects such as MEUSIS (Multi-Scal Soil Information Systems) and EuDASM (European Archive of Digital Soil Maps). He is also involved in the Soil data management within the action SOIL. During the last years he is also involved in soil data modelling relevant to soil erosion and soil organic carbon.
|Position:||Data Managment, Modelling, Soil Portal, GIS and Database Development|
|Competences:||ESDAC, Soil Portal, Soil Erosion, Digital Soil Mapping, Newsletter|
|Unit:||Land Resource Management/ SOIL action|
|Phone:||+39 0332 / 785574|
|Fax:||+39 0332 / 786394|
Publications in Peer-reviewed scientific journals (22 Records)
- Panagos, P., Van Liedekerke, M., Yigini, Y., Montanarella, L. (2013) Contaminated Sites in Europe: Review of the Current Situation Based on Data Collected through a European Network. Journal of Environmental and Public Health In Press. doi:10.1155/2013/158764.
- Lugato E., Panagos P., Bampa, F., Jones A., Montanarella L. (2013). A new baseline of organic carbon stock in European agricultural soils using a modelling approach. Global change biology In Press. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.12292
- Diafas I., Panagos P., Montanarella L. (2013). Willingness to Pay for Soil Information Derived by Digital Maps: A Choice Experiment Approach. Vadose Zone Journal In Press. DOI: 10.2136/vzj2012.0198
- Dunbar, M.B, Panagos, P., Montanarella, L. (2013) European perspective of ecosystem services and related policies. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management Volume 9, Issue 2, pages 231–236, April 2013.
- Panagos P.,Ballabio, C., Yigini, Y., Dunbar M. (2013) Estimating the soil organic carbon content for European NUTS2 regions based on LUCAS data collection Science of The Total Environment Volume 442, 1 January 2013, pp. 235–246.
- Panagos P., Hiederer, R., Van Liedekerke, M., Bampa, F. (2013) Estimating soil organic carbon in Europe based on data collected through an European network Ecological Indicators 24, pp. 439-450.
- Banwart, S., Menon, M, Bernasconi, S., Bloem, J, Blum, W.E.H, Souza, D.M.D, Davidsdotir, B., Duffy, C., Lair, G.J., Kram, P., Lamacova, A., Lundin, L., Nikolaidis, N.P., Novak, M., Panagos, P., Ragnarsdottir, K.V., Reynolds, B., Robinson, D., Rousseva, S., de Ruiter, P., van Gaans, P., Weng, L., White, T., Zhang, B. (2012) Soil processes and functions across an international network of Critical Zone Observatories: Introduction to experimental methods and initial results. Comptes Rendus - Geoscience 344 (11-12) , pp. 758-772.
- Karydas, C.G., Panagos, P., & Gitas, I.Z. (2012): A classification of water erosion models according to their geospatial characteristics, International Journal of Digital Earth, Vol. 5, Iss. 6, 2012, pp. 461-487.
- Aksoy, E., Panagos, P., & Montanarella L.(2012): Spatial prediction of soil organic carbon of crete by using geostatistics, Digital Soil Assessments and Beyond - Proceedings of the Fifth Global Workshop on Digital Soil Mapping, pp. 149-153,
- Panagos P., Van Liedekerke M., Jones A., Montanarella L. (2012) European Soil Data Centre: response to European policy support and public data requirements Land Use Policy, 29 (2), pp. 329-338.
- Meusburger, K., Steel, A., Panagos, P., Montanarella, L., Alewell, C. (2012) Spatial and temporal variability of rainfall erosivity factor for Switzerland. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16, 167–177, 2012
- Panagos, P., Meusburger, K., Alewell, C., Montanarella, L. (2012) Soil erodibility estimation using LUCAS point survey data of Europe, Environmental Modelling & Software, Volume 30, April 2012, Pages 143-145, doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2011.11.002
- Panagos, P., Karydas, C.G., Gitas, I.Z., Montanarella, L. (2012) Monthly soil erosion monitoring based on remotely sensed biophysical parameters: a case study in Strymonas river basin towards a functional pan-European service. International Journal of Digital Earth , Vol. 5, Iss. 6, 2012, pp. 461-487.
- Panagos P., Jones A., Bosco C., Senthil Kumar P.S. (2011) European digital archive on soil maps (EuDASM): Preserving important soil data for public free access International Journal of Digital Earth, 4 (5), pp. 434-443.
- Steven Banwart,Stefano M. Bernasconi, Jaap Bloem, Winfried Blum, Miguel Brandao, Susan Brantley, Francois Chabaux, Christopher Duffy, Pavel Kram, Georg Lair, Lars Lundin, Nikolaos Nikolaidis, Martin Novak, Panos Panagos, Kristin Vala Ragnarsdottir, Brian Reynolds, Svetla Rousseva, Peter de Ruitern, Pauline van Gaans, Willem van Riemsdijk, Tim White and Bin Zhang (2011) Soil Processes and Functions in Critical Zone Observatories: Hypotheses and Experimental Design Vadose Zone Journal; v. 10; no. 3; p. 974-987; DOI: 10.2136/vzj2010.0136
- Panagos P., van Liedekerke M., Montanarella L.(2011) Multi-scale European Soil Information System (MEUSIS): A multi-scale method to derive soil indicators Computational Geosciences, 15 (3), pp. 463-475.
- Bouraoui, F., Grizzetti, B., Adelsköld, G., Behrendt, H., De Miguel, I., Silgram, M., Gómez, S., Granlund, K., Hoffmann, L., Kronvang, B., Kvćrnř, S., Lázár, A., Mimikou, M., Passarella, G., Panagos, P., Reisser, H., Schwarzl, B., Siderius, C., Sileika, A.S., Smit, A.A.M.F.R., Sugrue, R., Vanliedekerke, M., Zaloudik (2009) Basin characteristics and nutrient losses: The EUROHARP catchment network perspective , Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 11 (3), pp. 515-525.
- Van Liedekerke, M., Panagos, P. (2008) Opportunities offered by the design and the use of a gridded Multi-scale European Soil Information System in support of European soil policy , Proc. iEMSs 4th Biennial Meeting - Int. Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software: Integrating Sciences and Information Technology for Environmental Assessment and Decision Making, iEMSs 2008 2 , pp. 980-987
- Panagos, P., Van Liedekerke, M., Montanarella, L., Jones, R.J.A (2008) Soil organic carbon content indicators and web mapping applications, Environmental Modelling & Software, Volume 23, Issue 9, September 2008, Pages 1207-1209.
- Panagos, P., Van Liedekerke, M., Rodriguez, L.L., Montanarella, L. (2008) MEUSIS - Multi-scale European soil database GEO: connexion 7 (2) , pp. 39-41
- Panagos, P., Van Liedekerke, M. (2006) Mapping services in the European Soil Portal GEO: connexion 5: (8) 42-45
- Panagos P. (2006) The European soil database, GEO: connexion 5 (7) , pp. 32-33
|Important legal notice
© European Communities, 1995-
| European Commission - Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Marc Van Liedekerke(tel. +39-0332-785179)
Panos Panagos (tel. +39-0332-785574)