Soil Datasets > Data > European Soil Database > Vector Raw Data
The European Soil Databases (ESDB), distribution version v2.0 is freely available to the public after user registration. Please note that the spatial data are in vector format.
Documention for this database can be found in the following material :
- Documentation for ESDB v2.0 taken from the ESDB v2.0 CD-ROM .
- A number of Legend Files (LYR or AVL format) applicable to the data from the European Soil Databases are available for download. These files can be applied to the vector based soil data and to the Raster files as well.
- A Geographical Knowledge Database on Soil Properties for Environmental Studies: More documentation on the Pedo-transfer rules/attributes of the European Soil Database.
Access to the data:
In order to obtain access to these databases : Fill in the online form; after which you will receive further instructions how to download the data.
Notes regarding the data:
Reference to the data should be made as follows:
- Panagos P., Van Liedekerke M., Jones A., Montanarella L. European Soil Data Centre: Response to European policy support and public data requirements. (2012) Land Use Policy, 29 (2), pp. 329-338. doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.07.003
- For ESDB v2.0: “The European Soil Database distribution version 2.0, European Commission and the European Soil Bureau Network, CD-ROM, EUR 19945 EN, 2004".
- Panagos Panos. The European soil database (2006) GEO: connexion, 5 (7), pp. 32-33.
Spatial reference system: All data are in the standard GISCO Lambert Azimuth co-ordinate system, documented in the GISCO Database Manual, in Chapter 3 "Main characteristics of the GISCO reference database" under "Spatial Reference System"
European Soil Database: Other Data Resources
- Raster Library - 1kmx1km
- Raster Library - 10kmx10km
- ESDB CD-ROM (Documentation)
- Google Earth Files
- Legend Files
|Important legal notice
© European Communities, 1995-
| European Commission - Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Marc Van Liedekerke(tel. +39-0332-785179)
Panos Panagos (tel. +39-0332-785574)