Team - Action SOIL > Cristiano Ballabio
Portrait: Cristiano Ballabio
| Cristiano Ballabio graduated in Environmental Sciences, at the University of Milano-Bicocca. He has been working as a free-lance consultant in soil and environmental sciences, focusing mostly on GIS and mapping.
After two years as a free-lance consultant, he went back to academy work on landslide hazard as a research fellow within the frame of the ALARM project. At the end of the ALARM project he enrolled in a PhD course in Geology and geotechnologies at the University of Milano-Bicocca, focusing on spatial statistics and studying radioactive contamination in the Alps. During the PhD he spent several months at the Australian Centre for Precision Agriculture, University of Sydney (Australia) as a visiting student.
After getting the PhD degree he worked as a research fellow at the Department of Environmental and Land Sciences of the University of Milano-Bicocca. He has been a lecturer in Environmental Geology in the University of Milano-Bicocca and lecturer of Spatial Statistics in training courses of different governmental institutions. Beside mapping related skills he possess a solid experience in soil surveys, with experience as a field surveyor in very diverse environments all around the world.
He joined jrc in 2012 to work on the Global Soil Map.net project.
Main research topics include:
- Digital Soil Mapping and Pedometrics
- Groundwater pollution hazard estimation and mapping
- Landslide hazard mapping
- Soil pollution mapping and risk assessment
- Spatial ecology
|Position:||post-doc (cat. 30)|
|Competences:||Digital Soil Mapping, Pedometrics, Spatial ecology|
|Unit:||Land Resource Management – Soil action|
|Phone:||+39 0332 / .....|
|Fax:||+39 0332 / 786394|
Publications in Peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Sorichetta, A., Masetti, M., Ballabio, C., Sterlacchini, S., Aquifer nitrate vulnerability assessment using positive and negative Weights of Evidence methods, Milan, Italy, Computers & Geosciences, Available online 29 May 2012, ISSN 0098-3004
- Ballabio, C., Fava, F., Rosenmund, A. A plant ecology approach to digital soil mapping, improving the prediction of soil organic carbon content in alpine grasslands (2012) Geoderma, 187-188, pp. 102-116.
- Ballabio, C., Sterlacchini, S., Support Vector Machines for Landslide Susceptibility Mapping: The Staffora River Basin Case Study, Italy (2012) Mathematical Geosciences, 44 (1), pp. 47-70.
- Tato, L., Tremolada, P., Ballabio, C., Guazzoni, N., Parolini, M., Caccianiga, M., Binelli, A. Seasonal and spatial variability of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in vegetation and cow milk from a high altitude pasture in the Italian Alps (2011) Environmental Pollution, 159 (10), pp. 2656-2664.
- Sorichetta, A., Masetti, M., Ballabio, C., Sterlacchini, S., Beretta, G.P. Reliability of groundwater vulnerability maps obtained through statistical methods (2011) Journal of Environmental Management, 92 (4), pp. 1215-1224.
- Sterlacchini, S., Ballabio, C., Blahut, J., Masetti, M., Sorichetta, A. Spatial agreement of predicted patterns in landslide susceptibility maps (2011) Geomorphology, 125 (1), pp. 51-61.
- Ballabio, C. and Comolli, R., Digital Soil Mapping: Bridging Research, Environmental Application, and Operation, chapter Mapping Heavy Metal Content in Soils with Multi- Kernel SVR and LIDAR Derived Data. Springer, 2010
- Tremolada, P., Parolini, M., Binelli, A., Ballabio, C., Comolli, R., Provini, A. Preferential retention of POPs on the northern aspect of mountains (2009) Environmental Pollution, 157 (12), pp. 3298-3307.
- Blahut, J., Sterlacchini, S., Ballabio, C. Effect of the input parameters on the spatial variability of landslide susceptibility maps derived by statistical methods. case study of the valtellina valley (italian central alps) [Priestorová variabilita máp náchylnosti území na vznik zosuvov. príkladová štúdia údolia valtellina (talianske centrálne alpy)] (2009) Geograficky Casopis, 61 (1), pp. 3-18.
- Ballabio, C. Spatial prediction of soil properties in temperate mountain regions using support vector regression (2009) Geoderma, 151 (3-4), pp. 338-350.
- Tremolada, P., Parolini, M., Binelli, A., Ballabio, C., Comolli, R., Provini, A. Seasonal changes and temperature-dependent accumulation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in high-altitude soils (2009) Science of the Total Environment, 407 (14), pp. 4269-4277.
- Masetti, M., Sterlacchini, S., Ballabio, C., Sorichetta, A., Poli, S. Influence of threshold value in the use of statistical methods for groundwater vulnerability assessment (2009) Science of the Total Environment, 407 (12), pp. 3836-3846
- Fabbri, A.G., Remondo, J., Ballabio, C., Poli, S., Chung, C.F., Scholten, H.J. Occurrence neighbourhoods and risk assessment from landslide hazard in northern Spain (2008) WIT Transactions on Information and Communication Technologies, 39, pp. 29-41.
|Important legal notice
© European Communities, 1995-
| European Commission - Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Marc Van Liedekerke(tel. +39-0332-785179)
Panos Panagos (tel. +39-0332-785574)