Documents - Publications
A strategy to keep Europe's soils robust and healthy
The Thematic Strategy for Soil Protection consists of a Communication from the Commission to the other European Institutions, a proposal for a framework Directive (a European law), and an Impact Assessment.
The Communication (COM(2006) 231) sets the frame. It explains why further action is needed to ensure a high level of soil protection, sets the overall objective of the Strategy and explains what kind of measures must be taken. It establishes a ten-year work program for the European Commission.
The proposal for a framework Directive (COM(2006) 232) sets out common principles for protecting soils across the EU. Within this common framework, the EU Member States will be in a position to decide how best to protect soil and how use it in a sustainable way on their own territory.
The Impact Assessment (SEC (2006) 1165 and SEC(2006) 620) contains an analysis of the economic, social and environmental impacts of the different options that were considered in the preparatory phase of the strategy and of the measures finally retained by the Commission.
Soil Documents Repository
- Soil Documents Repository of European Soil Bureau Network
(ESBN) and the Land Management & Natural Hazards Unit. Using all the modern
methods of Internet technology, the Soil Portal allows navigation, previewing
and download of the documents.
- All Research Reports: Includes the ESBN Research Reports, the Other Research Reports and the Publications in International Journals and Magazines.
Research Reports: Soil related documents available from the European
Soil Bureau Network (ESBN). The European Soil Bureau Research Reports
reflect the research work and the scientific studies being carried out
in the network.
Most Downloaded (Favourites) Reports:
- Common Criteria for Risk Area Identification according to Soil Threats (EUR 22185)
- Status and prospect of soil information in south-eastern Europe (EUR 22646)
- Pan-European Soil Erosion Risk Assessment: The Pesera Map (EUR 21176)
- SPADE-2: The Soil Profile Analytical Database for Europe (version 1.0) (EUR 22127)
- Soil Resources of Europe, Second edition (EUR 20559)
Research Reports: Soil related documents, Research Reports and JRC
Scientific - Technical Reports available from Staff of the SOIL Action
in the Land Management Unit & Natural Hazards Unit.
Most Downloaded (Favourites) Reports: Reports from the Working Groups set up in preparation of the Soil Thematic Strategy:
in Journals: Papers published in International Journals and Magazines.
Most Downloaded (Favourites) Publications:
- Conference Publications: Papers published during International Conferences and Workshops.
Publications: published during International Conferences and Workshops.
Most Downloaded (Favourites) Poster Publications:
- Soil Sampling to Certify the Changes of Organic Carbon in Mineral Soils
- The European Soil Portal: Networking Soil Information in Europe
- European Soil Visual Assessment - Field Guide
- Parent Material as a source of natural background values in soils.
- Digital Soil Mapping: Developing methodology to monitor and manage soils
- Various Documents: Other Various documents and publications that can be interested for the public.
- Glossary of Soil Terms: It contains 118 terms relating to Soil Science and was taken from the Soil Atlas of Europe.
|Important legal notice
© European Communities, 1995-
| European Commission - Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Marc Van Liedekerke(tel. +39-0332-785179)
Panos Panagos (tel. +39-0332-785574)